Paper Mache Seedling Pots
I absolutely LOVE Spring, and I like to start as many seeds as I can indoors around February and March. I made these great paper mache seedling pots by recycling newspapers laying around the house!
What you need:
- Wire Screen
- All Purpose Flour
- Muffin Tins
- Gloves (optional)
- Muffin Tin
1. Take your newspaper and shred into strips. (Don’t use the glossy ads)
2. Place strips into bowl and pour warm water onto them. Let them sit for a few minutes until soaked.
3. Place wet paper into blender and add cold water until 2/3rd’s full. If it seems to thick add more water. blend until paper is more mushy.
4. Strain paper mush in screen strainer. Squeeze excess water with hands.
5. Knead 1/2 Cup of flour into pulp until it’s mixed well.
6. Take paper and flour mixture and smash into muffin pan. You want to keep all sides and the bottom evenly matched with paper mixture. The wetter the mixture, the longer it takes to dry.
7. Let them sit in a warm spot for a day or put them in the oven at 220 degrees F.
8. When pots are completely dry, you can pop them out and start planing your seeds!
What are some things you plan on planting in your pots? Leave a comment below!
Another method that would work, if you have a paper shredder, is to shred your paper (newspaper or even old bills), then use that to make your paper Mache pots. That would leave out the step of using your blender, and save it for important things….like margaritas!